How to create animations for Unity with Kinect Mocap Animator
originally written by David P., adapted for v1.5.0 by Rumen F.
This guide assumes your workflow will be to create a single Unity project for doing motion capture for all animation clips, and that those clips will be imported into your game projects as needed. But if you need more than one project for mocap (perhaps because you need to use model skeletons of significantly different proportions), then the steps in this section must be repeated for each of those projects.
- In Unity, create a new 3D Unity project.
- In the Asset Store tab, find “Kinect MoCap Animator” by RFSolutions. Download and import it.
- Ensure the Kinect SDK 2.0 and speech recognition software is installed by following Project tab > Assets > _Readme > Readme-Kinect2-Mocap-Animator.pdf > “Installation of Kinect v2 SDK”.
- Make these settings in File > Build Settings:
- Platform = PC, Mac & Linux Standalone
- Target platform = Windows
Then close this dialog by clicking the red X button in the upper-right.
- Open and run the plugin’s default scene by double-clicking KinectMocapAnimator.unity under the Project tab > Assets.